The smallest and least populated of the Aegadian islands, Levanzo is also the closest to the west coast of Sicily (around 15km). Just 5km long, from Capo Grosso to Punta Pesce, and 2km across from Cala Calcara to Faraglione, the island is characterised by walking paths through scented Mediterranean vegetation and a 12km long coastline. In the village of Levanzo, on the south east of the island, sea-facing houses are clustered around the small harbour.
The main attraction on the island is the Grotta del Genovese which can be accessed via a footpath or by boat. In 1949, a series of Neolithic cave paintings were uncovered here depicting painted and carved scenes of everyday life – human figures and a series of animals including horses and deer – that date back to between 9000 and 10,000 BC when Levanzo was still connected to Sicily.